A Quote:

"There sit the knights that were so great of hand,
The ladies that were queens of fair green land,
Grown grey and black now, brought unto the dust,
Soiled, without raiment, clad about with sand."
- Algernon Charles Swinburne.

lunes, 25 de noviembre de 2019

Review: El guardián entre el centeno

El guardián entre el centeno El guardián entre el centeno by J.D. Salinger
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Holden Caulfield. What a boy. He hates almost everything. Everyone except his siblings are fake. He has some talent for writing, don't consider himself intellectual, overthinks everything that happens, is full of active hormones, takes bad decisions every single time.

If I had read this novel when I was a teenager, this would be on my top list. This is a timeless piece because Salinger depicted perfectly what is teenage behavior and angst. Holden is a likeable character, but I didn't liked him because I'm an adult now and I see why every single bad decision that he took was a bad choice. Back in the day I would totally identify with him.

Also, the book shows society as it was and will be. This adds a lot of tension to narrative, and helps to propel it. Add excellent pacing and you get an outstanding book. Alas, I didn't like the protagonist and the story by itself is plain, made worse by a first-person angsty teen perspective. This is one of those rare books that needs to be read at a certain age. I loved it and hated it reading at my 40+ years old., hence my score.

View all my reviews

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario